Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Can you help?

Those 3 words that are so hard to hear. 3 words that I hoped we'd never hear in our family. You've got Cancer..... I have been participating in walks for a few years, and every letter I send out, I say that hopefully you are as fortunate as I have been, in that no-one in your family has been affected by Cancer. But that's not the case anymore.

My grandmother has been undergoing some tests for awhile now, and today we got the official word, that yes, my grandmother has cancer. Pancreatic cancer. Over the past few weeks we've been told that it's likely cancer, but nothing 100% official until today. Right now the tumor is just in her pancreas, and hasn't grown in the past 2 months. She starts Radiation and Chemotherapy soon. She's 75 yrs old and has other ailments as well (asthma and diabetes). I'm really worried about what the future holds for our family. Pancreatic Cancer has a very low survival rate, the median term of survival being 6-12 months, depending on how early it's caught. Only 4% live 5 yrs. So I hope that it's in the VERY early stages.

On May 4th I’ll be participating in the Relay for Life, where all money raised goes to the American Cancer Society. I’ll be walking with my warrior Joey, who had ALL (Acute lymphoblastic Leukemia) and has been in remission for 2 years. I know his mother Martha lives in fear, every time she goes to a DR’s appointment with him, he runs a fever, complains of his legs hurting, she’s talking to me about it. Always wondering and worrying, that maybe it’s come back.

I hope that you will be able to make a tax deductible donation towards my walk this year. Whether it's $5, 10, or 50. Every little bit helps, going towards finding a cure. Just remember, we never know when it will strike us, or someone we love.

You may go here http://www.acsevents.org/lewisvilletx/mommyrogers to make your online donation, or contact me for mailing information to send a personal check.

If you like you may forward this on to anyone and everyone you can think of to help towards this great cause.

Thank You,
Carrie Rogers

No comments: