Thursday, February 04, 2010

Dr Louie vs.. Dr Google...

Anytime I have something that comes up and I want to do research on it, I immediately go to Google (Dr Google) and type in whats going on and try and do research on it.  I've had DR's tell me that I should go into the nursing field because I try and absorb as much as I can about certain things..  So yesterday was no different.  Tuesday night I started to have a horrible earache, and took some tylenol and went to bed.  In the middle of the night I kept waking up with sharp shooting pain on this one certain spot on my head.  A pulsating pain that would come with no warning, go away, and everything would be fine.  But through the day yesterday, they became more severe, causing me to clinch my fist, grit my teeth and brought tears to my eyes each time.   By the end of the day my scalp was very tender to the touch, and burning, and almost numb.. wasn't a headache.. just pain!!  So, what did I do.?  asked "Dr. Google"... and first thing that pops up is blood clot!!  *sigh*  Couldn't be the case.. I came home yesterday and took 3 advil and slept just fine last night, but this AM, it started again. Not nearly as severe as yesterday, but still there.  And my eye was drooping, again. My right eye likes to do that from time to time.  Well today I had to go to my OBGYN for other issues, and went ahead and made an appt with my family DR (Dr Louie as we call him) to see what he has to say.. In a nutshell.. I had rhinoplasty done about 5 yrs ago.  I unfortunately was born with my grandfathers nose, and it was rather large to say the least, polish nose.  I've ALWAYS wanted to have surgery to have it reduced but was to scared to have it broken.  Well I have a condition called Vaso Vagal Syncope, where I pass out unexpectedly, and passed out at the hospital, falling face first and breaking my nose in 4 spots.  So, since it was already broken, and I had to go through rhinoplasty, I decided to have a nose reduction at the same time.  A week into my recovery I fell asleep with my arm draped over my nose, my still healing very pliable nose, and pushed my nose over to the left.  So Essentially I have NO sinus passage on my right side, and have issues because of it.  Well apparently my sinus cavities on my entire right side are so backed up right now due to this.  So that, on top of the tension knots he says I have in my neck muscles that lead up the side of my head, it's putting too much pressure on my nerves on that side of my head, hence the pain.  So he's got me on a muscle relaxer to help ease the tension in my neck and shoulders, Mucinex D to try and flush out my sinuses, and steroids for inflammation.  He told me that I have so much fluid build up in my forehead and sinus passages above my eyebrows, and that's why my eye is drooping.  If I'm not feeling better by tomorrow I'm to call him... Here are a few pictures of me from my surgery 5 yrs ago..

These are the pictures that the DR took prior to surgery.  the one on the left is my before picture
and the one on the right is what he projected me to look like after surgery.

This was me the day I came home from surgery.  Because of the size of my nose, they had to break my cheek bones to bring my nose down some.  This is actually a good picture compared to what I looked like the next day.  My eyes swelled shut and I couldn't see anything.  Jeff had to put a salve in my eyes every few hours because I could no longer produce tears.  I couldn't breathe through my nose so my mouth got extremely dry, sores all over the inside, and very painful.
This was about 1-2 wks later.. me and my cutie pie Peyton..
This is a collage I put together years ago.
The left is before surgery, next is my projected, then 2 wks after surgery, then 3 wks after surgery..
Well, it looks like it will be in my best interest to have rhinoplasty done again, to try and get my nose straightened out, and breathing through my right side again..

AND.. I went to an OB/GYN for a 2nd opinion.. without going into great detail here, I have horrible times with my "female issues".. and my OB/GYN didn't want to do surgery of any kind, thought i was too young, and tried to take care of it with hormone treatment.  Tired of dealing with it, I decided to seek out a 2nd opinion.  and this DR thought it was nuts that surgery wasn't tried earlier.. So, I go in next Wednesday for an Ultrasound, to be sure everything looks OK, then I'll be scheduling an appointment to have Novasure done.  I'm so excited and hope it works.. and it looks like in the next few months I'll be doing nose surgery again.

I think my muscle relaxer is kicking in now.. :-) time to go relax for a bit before going to bed!!

PS.. YAY me.. 3 days of blogging in a row!!


No comments: