When you send your loved ones to a place to be taken care of, you are entrusting them with everything, and hopeful they will do so to the best of their ability. Yesterday was a very frustrating day for me when visiting Daddy.
After going to Daddy’s room and realizing he wasn’t there, the CNA walking down the hall informed me he was in the ice cream social… I said “What, he’s not supposed to be having ice cream! He’s on a Nectar Thick Diet”.. She looked at me dumbfounded to which I explained to her that ice cream melts, turns to pure liquid when running down his throat… so she led me to him and she took the ice cream away.
Daddy told her he was having some chest pains, she said she’d get the nurse to wait there. After approx. 5 minutes I wheeled him to the nurses’ station where I waited for a few minutes before I believe it was the Liaison standing there that asked me how she could help me. I told her that Daddy was having chest pains and I needed him checked out, she went to his nurse, who was on the phone and said as soon as you get off of the phone and get that fax taken care of, will you check on Mr. Rogers, he’s having chest pains. I waited another 5 minutes, with Daddy doubled over in pain, short of breath, and telling me that it felt like his heart was pumping it’s last amount of blood, I asked the nurse how much longer she’d be, and she said she was checking over his medicine list. I said I didn’t care about a medicine list, he doesn’t have nitro, to come over and check his BP, listen to him something! After another minute of watching him in pain I went to an office just on the other side of the nurses’ station and found the head nurse and the Liaison talking. I said I needed someone to check him out ASAP, at this point it had been almost 15 minutes since our first complaint of chest pains.. finally someone came to check his vitals, they got him a BP med, pain pill for chest pain, and some Mylanta… I went to the Therapy Room and found the Rehab MGR and explained my issues to her, and she walked me back to the nurses’ station and communicated with the head nurse the things that have just taken place.
Which brings me to my next issue. He’s on a Nectar Thick Diet, he aspirates thin liquids, he’s already got pneumonia likely due to aspirating liquids. He was given water thin Mylanta. After he started feeling better, it was dinner time. Upon his arrival to the dining table they brought daddy a bowl of soup, with water then broth in it, and crackers ( he can’t have crunchy items, on a manual soft diet)! I brought it to the soup station and showed him his ticket where there is a big NT, for Nectar Thick.. to show them he was not supposed to have thin liquids. After waiting 10 minutes and still no new soup I approached the same gentlemen and asked him if they had thickener there to thicken the broth, so he could have some soup, and after he discussed it with some other guy they went to the kitchen and returned with a pureed bowl of soup for him to eat. According to Daddy he’s even had Salads with dressings? And according to the list we received from the last location, salads were not allowed? No raw vegetables, dressings (too thin) etc??
His BP was a little high yesterday during all of this, so I pray that he was just having horrible indigestion and that was causing the discomfort, and pain can make your BP rise. Jeff is going up there soon to visit with him. Please continue to keep him in your prayers.
Wednesday, March 04, 2009
Boy oh Boy...
Labels:
Carrie,
craziness of life,
drama,
Family,
Grandparents,
jeff,
prayers,
Sick,
Troubles of Life
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment