Monday, February 02, 2009

How much more can he handle??

We've always known that my Father In Law AKA Daddy was an insomniac. Daddy will go to bed at 10 and wake up at 1 in the AM. We've tried sleeping pills, but either they only work for a short time or they put him in a dangerous coma like state. Well, Daddy has gone above and beyond that. Daddy has literally been awake since sometime on Saturday. Yeah, today is MONDAY!!! I spent the night with him last night not sure what I was in for. I found out in the middle of the night last night that he was up all night the night before as well!! We weren't aware of that yesterday, we just knew that we were having our hands full with his disorientation. You guys, its not pretty. Its so tough watching this big teddy bear of a man that is so full of jokes and funny, in a different state of mind right now.

They are really certain that it's the medicines that are still in his system making him like this. Like I said, I spent the night with him last night.. And we had a party all night! I got ZERO amount of sleep, this man had me on my feet all night long. He's going through so many hallucinations. Here are some examples of his wild imagination... There was a showroom pig walking on his wall, there were pancakes all over his room and he was mad I wouldn't give them to him, his ceiling is covered in ants, he was in his wheelchair sitting in the bank drive thru line mad that they wouldn't give him $100 calling the teller an idiot, he was asking for cigarettes then had a conversation about how they weren't good for him so never mind he didn't want them.. He even went so far as to try to coerce the newscaster on the early morning show to grab ahold of his hand and help him up out of bed. He said "Young man, please just help me up, they are treating me like a prisoner and you need to help me up so I can go home, Don't worry about her sitting over there she won't hurt you I promise, just help me up..".. Then turned to me and said "There are you happy, you done went and scared him off!!"... *sigh*.. These are just the beginning of what its been like. There are dozens of other stories.

I know that it's harder for older people to come off of anesthesia, and deal with pain meds.. He's 80, I get that.. But really?? Surgery was Thursday, he hasn't had any narcotics since yesterday AM. Can he really continue with no sleep? I ended up having to have the hospital send a "sitter" in with him so I could come home this afternoon and sleep! Bridget is up there right now and he just came out of an angry phase, which I seen several times last night. He was cussing, he doesn't do that!!! He was throwing all of his pillows and blankets on the floor and yelling because no one would help him.. The DR had just walked in the room a few minutes ago when I was talking to mom, so it'll be interesting to see what he has to say...

Thank you for all of your prayers, I really appreciate them. Claudia, thank you for actually picking up the phone and calling me, your voice mail was so very sweet.. I appreciate it.. When you called we were in the middle of a "crisis" so I couldn't answer my phone.. Daddy had just finished going through an episode.. He thought he was eating candy, and after a few minutes of pretending he started to choke, and it was scary. He couldn't get air, and all of the nurses rushed in and we rushed out crying. After contemplating ICU they decided he was likely OK, but is on a liquid diet again. So your sweet voicemail was heard at the right time..



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You all continue in my prayers. Also went through this exact same scenario with my Dad - though his hallucinations were due to alzheimers...it's pretty crazy stuff and it is pitiful to have to see them like this. I pray for God to hold this family so close to Yourself during this time. Comfort their Daddy, and help him to sleep, In Jesus Name. AMen.