Wednesday, February 20, 2008

My Grandma

I just got home from the hospital. I received a call around 10:30 this morning that my grandma had been taken to the ER with a lot of blood loss from her rectum. They got her to the hospital and started running tests. She was bleeding really bad, to the point of thinking she felt like she was wetting her pants. We had a DR tell my Aunt that family should be called in and they only had a few options obviously. But the most important was finding where the bleed was coming from. I got a call around noon saying that they weren't able to do anything about it, to call family in and they'd be making her comfortable. I was out for lunch with my co-worker and friend Kristi when I received this call. Thankfully she was driving. I rushed home ( a blubbering idiot) to change and then headed up to the hospital. When I got there they had pulled her up for a colonoscopy. That test showed that she had a major vessel in her colon torn; they were going to do a CAT Scan to see where exactly it was coming from and then go in and try and seal it off with some gel. She had that procedure done and about an hour later she started to bleed really bad again. I at this point was able to go back and see her in ICU and she told me that she loved me. We were told at this time that she was being pulled back right away for surgery. She told me that she'd be OK no matter where she opened her eyes at, whether here on earth with us, or in heaven. We all took turns going back to see her. Aleena was up there with me when we got this news, so I let her go back and see her for a few minutes. She spent a lot of time crying in the lobby so I felt it would make her better to go back and see her. Around 8:30 they pulled her back for surgery, she was really weak due to bleeding nonstop since 9 this morning. She won't accept blood so it was just a wait and see. During the surgery they removed her Large Intestine and re-routed her small intestine so she wouldn't have to have a Colostomy bag. The surgery took about 2 hrs total. I didn't get to see her after surgery as it was going to be an hour or so recovery. 2 of my Aunts stayed behind to see her. Were still not out of the woods yet, but it's much better then where we were at during my lunch! I've never been so scared in my life. She's lost a lot of blood, with her diabetes she's at high risk of getting gangerine etc. So the thoughts and prayers are still needed... this has proven to me again you can't take things for granted. I've been so busy the past few months running around non stop, doing this and that and haven't put her at the top of my list; but that's going to change. I HAVE to make her a priority in my life right now as well.

A great thing for me to witness though was while up there at the hospital not knowing the prognosis of my grandma; my friend Crystal was up there as well. Crystals dad had a heart attack last week and went through a 6 bypass heart surgery and was in ICU for a few days, and they were told he was on the fence, 50/50 chance. And my friend was up there picking her daddy up to take him home... How great is that... Just goes to show how great the power of prayer is. These are definitely wake up calls for us all.

Thank you all so much... I'm off to get some sleep hopefully. I have a lot of family coming in to town starting tomorrow so it's going to be a long busy weekend for us.

((HUGS))
Carrie

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, I just wanted you to know that I will keep your Grandma in my prayers as well as your whole family. I believe in the power of prayer as well so I will put her on my prayer chain at church.
I hope your doing okay, from your last post it doesn't sound like you are feeling well latley. I will keep you in my prayers as well.
Take Care.
Love,
Andrea