Wednesday, December 19, 2007

A day in the life of...

me...
The other day when leaving work, a guy that works in my building was getting on the elevator with me to go to the parking garage. He said “Wow, you’re going home for the day, lucky you”. I said “Yeah, it’s been a long day, I’m ready to go home and do a bunch of nothing!”. He responded with “Wow that seems fun… or rather boring.” And he got off on his floor he needed… Boring? This must be a single guy with no kids.
As a busy mother of 3, with a husband, job, sports etc; I long for days to do NOTHING. I’m READY for a boring day. I would love nothing more then to come home to a spotless house, dinner in the crock-pot, husband and kids out running errands etc; just me, my couch and the remote. Doesn’t that sound great? I don’t even know what shows are on TV anymore, I can’t tell you the last time I sat down and watched a TV show from beginning to end, with no interruptions. So, I figured I’d share a “Day in the life of Carrie” list… This is from yesterday, not one of my busier days..

4:20 AM Alarm clock goes off- hit snooze and make the best of the next 7 minutes
4:27 AM Alarm clock goes off again… Turn it off and reset it for Jeff’s wake up time..
4:35 AM finally get out of bed after moaning for awhile
4:35-5 AM Get dressed, brush teeth, hide dark circles under eyes and brush hair
5:05 AM Kiss Jeff goodbye and say I love you
5:05-5:10 AM Check email real fast, grab a drink and some kleenex’s and head out the door for work
5:50 AM Arrive at work and clock in
5:50 AM – 11 AM Do my job shuffling papers around on my desk trying my hardest to stay awake. Trying to manage all day with no DR Pepper.
11-11:30 AM clock out for lunch go across the street and grab a baked potato. Come back and balance my checkbook and eat
11:30-2:20 PM finish working, talk on the phone to Jeff about him being sick, daddy being sick, Joey being sick and errands that need to be done.
2:25-3:55 PM Sit in traffic trying to get home; they shut the highway down from 5 lanes to 2 lanes to get ready for an HOV lane to open.
2:30 PM receive phone call from Jeff that Daddy is at the DR’s (again!) to check his bronchitis, he’s still got a lot of junk so it’s time to start some breathing treatments in hopes to get it all loosened up.
3:15 PM I call Jeff to say that I’m still stuck in traffic that he’ll need to pick the kids up from school; again.
3:55 PM stop at CVS to grab candy to go along with a gift for Aleena’s dance instructor and cash to pay back the other mom for the gift she purchased
4:05 PM get home to find that Jeff didn’t have time to go to Wal-Mart to purchase Barbie for the gift exchange during Aleena’s dance class – rush Aleena through her snack telling her to hurry up and get ready
4:15 PM leave the house and head to CVS again to get a gift for the gift exchange
4:17 PM realize that I forgot to grab our breathing machine to deliver to daddy to use for a few days; call Jeff and he grabs it and meets me at CVS so I don’t have to turn around and get it.
4:25 PM leave CVS after grabbing a journal, pen and some stickers for the gift exchange; not a Barbie but it’ll have to do.. Oh, and we also all grabbed a candy for a treat on the way to dance
4:27 PM I open my BIG Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup and quickly inhale it; Peanut Butter and Chocolate together is greatness
4:40 – 5:30 PM Arrive at Aleena’s Dance Lesson; she goes in to her class and Peyton and I sit on a bench in the game room and read a book and work on homework; and I get gifts packaged for her dance instructors.
5:45 PM Arrive at Daddy’s house, I sort his meds, get the breathing machine set up for him, go through 4 rounds of teaching him how to set it up, try to instruct him on how to use his inhaler that he needs to do, get him water, give him his extra night time meds to take. And talk to him about his dizzy spells he’s been having. While there he almost fell; thankfully I was standing in front of him to help hold him up and get him back to the chair.
6:30 PM leave daddy’s to head to visit mom
6:30-6:45 talk to Bridget and Jeff about Daddy, trying to figure out what to do. He mentioned he thinks he had a stroke again over the past few days.
6:45 PM – 7:30 PM Visit with mom. Notice her legs are swollen, talk to the nurse about getting her on Lasix again, rub her leg and foot down with lotion, hang up her clean clothes I delivered to her, gather her dirty clothes. Read her card she got in the mail, talk about her visit with Mark, Xmas, the kids school activities etc.
7:35PM – I arrive back home to get Aleena and Peyton fed, put in a load of dirty clothes and straighten up the kitchen, putting away supplies that Jeff managed to get while I was at dance, before he left for his PT job.
8 PM – I pour drano down our bathroom sinks in hopes to work free the hair that’s collected in them over the past year or so.
8:15PM I get the kids to brush there teeth and get up to bed
8:30 PM they come down begging for a Popsicle, I give in as they usually have one every night and we weren’t home much.
8::45 PM have the kids go brush there teeth again and get back into bed
8:50 – 9:30 PM I sit down to try and finish up the last bit of xmas cards I still need to get addressed.
9:30 – 10 PM I talk to Bridget to update her on my visit with mom and let her know how she’s doing, discuss xmas etc
10:15 PM Jeff arrives home from his part time job; he’s exhausted and sick. While he was at the DR with daddy they gave him an antibiotic shot to help get him over his crud he has as well.
10:20 PM Peyton quickly runs down the stairs to give his daddy a hug; he’s only seen him for 30 minutes today and he missed him… We let him sleep in our room, in hopes he’ll be asleep by 10:30.
10:30 PM I realize I haven’t had dinner yet so I get up to grab a sandwich and cuddle on the couch with Jeff for a bit.
10:50 I finally drag my butt to bed, first to brush my teeth and then climb into bed.
11:05 PM I set the alarm clock, cover Peyton up and I climb into bed for the night. And I’m happy I made it the entire day on just water! 4:30 AM will come way too soon!

No comments: