Saturday, February 10, 2007

A decision was FINALLY made!

I forgot how hard it can be to make the decision on what kind of car to get. When Jeff lost his job at Countrywide we were stuck in a horrible financial position. With that came me letting my truck go back to the lender and them selling it. At that time my Father In Law was told he could not drive anymore, so we started driving his car. Then shortly after me letting my truck go back, Jeff's engine went out in his truck! HELLO?? *sigh* The job was going to cost us several thousands of dollars, close to 5K. We obviously could not afford that. So for several weeks before Jeff started at Nationwide he was taking me to work, coming home and getting the kids ready for school, dropping them off. And he'd spend the day doing what needed to be done. Then he'd pick them up, and then come pick me up. I work over 40 miles from home. And he was coming to pick me up at 4:30-5, which meant us coming home in rush hour traffic. So for weeks, we were doing good to be home by 6:30. Then he started his job at Nationwide which came with a schedule that didn't work with mine. He's working 9a-5:30pm. We got a rental car for a week thinking that his truck would be done at a much lower rate through the dealership we got it at, but that didn't work out. We couldn't afford to have the rental car for extra weeks. Thankfully his nephew Blake helped us out for 2 wks. He came here at 8 every morning and took the kids to school and then brought Jeff to work, then I'd pick him up when I got off. Well anyway, I HAD to get a new car. But what to get was tough for me to figure out. I could get a car, and get a bigger one that would fit my kids in the back seat comfy. But then I feared they'd be fighting every chance they got. "You looked at me, you touched me, your breathing on me, etc." you get the hint. And I'd be in the front seat going crazy looking for the nearest happy hour! :-) Then I thought, Hmmm.. A Mini Van! I've had one of those before. but back then it was out of need. I HAD to have one. I had 3 kids in car seats, and that wasn't going to work in a Car. But then I thought, I'm ONLY 30! A Mini Van Mom? I can accept a Soccer Mom, T-Ball Mom etc. But a Mini Van as well? While the space is comfy, I could fit friends of the kids in there etc. Then the SUV. I'd LOVE to have a 3rd row SUV. But then I had to get realistic. I'm not in a financial position to afford one right now. They are gas guzzlers and I drive ridiculous miles every week. Usually going about 5-600 miles a week. That would cost me a fortune. Insurance is more. Tires are way more expensive. And right now that money looks better in my bank then in theres. So I had to be a grown up and decide on something that worked for all of us. And was cost efficient as well. So I got a 2005 Dodge Stratus. It's not brand new, I've never bought brand new. But it's new to me. It's got 38K miles on it. And PLENTY of room in the back seat, so hopefully the peach fuzz on the kids will not have to touch their neighbor and cause a war back there. It'll be great on gas compared to my truck or any SUV, and I can still look like a cool mom driving around. :-) AND it can fit in parking spots in Down Town Dallas. I feel I made a great decision. I don't want to be stressing 6 months from now trying to come up with money for gas, tires etc on an SUV. Now that my kids are older I don't need that extra space. So anyway.. Here's a picture.

No comments: