Monday, January 29, 2007

Peyton's Surgery

Peyton had his surgery on Friday, and it was pretty uneventful for the most part. He needed to be there at 8 o'clock to begin checking in. I had Jeff leave the house with him around 7:45 to head to the hospital. I left the house at 8 to take Aleena to school. I pull out of her school parking lot around 8:15 and head to the hospital. As I'm pulling into the hospital parking lot at approx. 8:25 I call Jeff to find out where in the hospital they are. Guess who wasn't there yet??? Yes.. Mr. Jeff decided to take a different route to the hospital, one that is WAY out of the way, and couldn't find the hospital. SO, I get in and register and am there for about 5 minutes before he even gets there with the patient!!! *sigh*
We get him all registered and are sitting out in the waiting room. You can tell he's starting to get a little nervous as he's being very quiet and reserved. I am also getting very nervous at this point as well. And when I'm nervous, my drug of choice is Water. I had about 4 bottles of water within 45mins to an hour. They get us back to the pre-op room and have him get in a gown. He won't crack a smile, isn't really talking much etc. Here are a few pictures of me and Dad trying to get a smile from him.
Not wanting to look at me, he's too busy staring at the TV instead.
After meeting with the anesthesiologist and getting his "silly juice" we finally got a smile out of him. This was such a funny moment. He got pretty "drunk" off of his meds. He couldn't sit up straight, slurring on his words, laughing for no reason etc. He had me in tears. The surgery lasted about 20 minutes and the DR came out to say everything was OK. The fluid in his left ear was so thick he said it was like pulling Jell-O out of his ear!! YUCK!! The DR said that he was back in recovery and they'd come get us in about 5 mins, when he opened his eyes. Well about 15 minutes went by and they finally came to get us. She said he was being really quiet and wouldn't wake up. That was the longest 15 minutes of my life. We go back to his recovery room and he's just lying there, eyes 1/2 open. The nurse said they had been trying to get him up, but he wouldn't wake up, that all of his vitals etc looked good. We started talking to him, and he'd open his eyes for a split second and go right back down. This went on for about 10-15 more minutes. Finally I'm pretty much pleading with him, that he had to get up in order for us to get home etc. I make him sit up, and take a drink of water. Within 5 mins or so he was pretty much fully awake, then started sobbing. He cried all the way home, asking several times "Are you sure they didn't remove my tonsils, my throat hurts!". I said no, they just removed your adenoids and added tubes in your ears. He came home and had a huge glass of sprite, some soft tacos and we played several games of Connect 4. He's now pretty much back to normal. He only took his pain medicine through that first night. So I'm hoping we don't suffer from anymore ear infections or ruptured ear drums for quite sometime!!

Thank You to all of you that called. It really means a lot to me. I've had his room mom email me checking on him, the school nurse called the minute I walked in the door Friday from the hospital. I had people that I least expected to check on him call, and the ones that should have called, I never heard from! Kind of funny how that works.. Just goes to show who really cares when it's needed.

Off to watch 24!! Have a great evening.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank for the update..I had been watching the blog waiting on it and the pics..I knew you were going to take some!!!!

Adeana

Anonymous said...

So glad things went well. I love the pictures of him!!
Jana

Anonymous said...

So glad the surgery went well. Hopefully he will start to feel much better. He is such a handsome young boy.
Jana
P.S. GO BEARS!!!!!!!! :0)

OurLilypad said...

hey girl! Just thinking about you!